Got Surveys? Recommendations from the Trenches
- Work with an expert
- Benchmark against industry: http://www.foreseeresults.com/, http://www.theacsi.org/, http://www.iperceptions.com/
- Great insights are in the raw answers to your survey
- Don’t show the survey too early
- Think about your target segment that you want to survey
- Treat them as a ongoing measurement system
Build A Great Web Experimentation & Testing Program
- Get over your own opinions
- State hypotheses
- Create goal and success metrics beforehand
- Don’t neglect side-effects of testing
- You can start small but get bigger
- Get people involved in testing: e.g. let them bid on outcomes
- Know the techniques and theories
- Evangelize people about testing
The Three Greatest Survey Questions Ever
- What is the purpose of your visit to our website today?
- Were you able to complete your task today?
- If you were not able to complete your task today, why not?
Experiment or Die. Five Reasons And Awesome Testing Ideas
- It’s no expensive
- It’s quite fast
- It’s allows you to measure change
- You have the ability to take controlled risks
- It’s quite easy
- Fix the worst landing pages and be bold
- Test single page vs. multi page checkout
- Test number and placement of ads
- Test different pricing / selling tactics
- Test box layouts and other online stuff
Qualitative Web Analytics: Heuristic Evaluations Rock!
- Trying to get tasks complete: e.g. place an order, look for support, etc.
- You can try this in a group
- Write down task that you want to see completed
- Try to establish success benchmarks
- Walk through each task and note important findings
- Check with a best practices checklist
- Create a report: screenshots / screen recording
- Create a prioritized list with all the problems